Wednesday, August 26, 2009

OPI Holiday Wishes Collection Winter/Holiday 2009

Okay, here it is, finally! I had a few hours of nearly cloudless sky and I managed to get these photographed.

Here we go!


All A-Bordeaux The Sled. Very dark vampy brownish wine creme. This one is pretty straightforward. It's dark, it's shiny, it's vampy. Seems more brown than burgundy.



Comet Loves Cupid. Bright holiday red creme. This is so bright and pretty! The sunlight picture makes it look a lot warmer than it really is. This is another one of those bright flashy retro-looking reds.


Crimson Carol. Light crimson red with gold and opalescent microglitter. This is a light, cool-toned red base with some strong pink tones from the glitter. The glitter in this is much more dense and a lot finer than the other glitters in this collection- I'm calling it microglitter.


Dear Santa. Medium red with golden glitter. Dear Santa is a red glitter along the same lines as China Glaze Ruby Pumps. This is more golden than Ruby Pumps, but it has that same hot coals under water look from the glitter in the jelly-like red base. Gorgeous.

Ginger Bells. Warm orangey creme. OPI and Apple Pie v2.0? Kidding! (Well, actually, I really like OPI and Apple Pie...) This really reminds me of gingerbread men! Not the actual kind, but the illustrated kind on cards and decorations. I have a ceramic Gingerbread Man ornament that's almost this exact color. It's more of a soft pumpkin pie shade- it dries a lot darker on the nail than it looks in the bottle. Pumpkin pie... *dreamy sigh*


Glove You So Much. Maroon red shimmer. Another pretty wine shade! Sorry about the bubbles :( Again, the sun brings out the warm tones while the indoor picture picks up on the cool tones. This one looks velvety.

Holiday Glow. Awesome. That's how I would describe this color. It's a little more complicated than that- this shade is pretty complex. It appears to be a rich brownish base with red toned pearl shimmer. It also has lots and lots of gold microglitter. The pictures don't really capture how cool this is. Totally unique.


Meet And Jingle. Medium shimmery red. The shimmer in this one is especially nice- it doesn't look like much indoors, but outdoors it has a lot of sparkle to it. Not horribly memorable, but not awful either.


Merry Midnight. Deep warm purple base with opalescent glitter and opal flakes. Another awesome one. Very hard to capture! This is the first time I've ever seen OPI do flakes! Perhaps some of the Asia-exclusives had some.... But I've never seen them. Good job, OPI! Were you reading my Nail Polish Wishes post when you created this? Hahahaha! Anyway, this color is totally unique and I'd call it the must-have from the collection.

Sapphire In The Snow. Dark blurple. Heh, I said blurple. I think that's what I'd call this- not entirely blue and not entirely purple, like a fusion of the two. These pictures are not entirely accurate- these types of colors are nearly impossible to photograph. In real life it's darker and much less blue- more purple with red tones.

Shim-Merry Chic. Bronzed golden shimmer base with opalescent glitter and opal flakes. Another flaky polish! Sweet! Very sparkly. I love the brown-gold shade. Again, totally unique, I don't have another polish that's anything like this.


Smitten With Mittens. Deep red with gold glitter. This is a darker and richer shade of red than the rest of the reds, and the glitter is bigger. So gorgeous. I love red glitters. So fun to look at, aren't they?


The formula on these is good. It seems thinner than the last few OPI collections. I did three coats on all of these, most only needed two but a few looked better with three (Crimson Carol, Glove You So Much, Merry Midnight). They're all mostly opaque at two, but I find that the colors have more impact at three coats. They dry fairly quickly, but this particular collection takes a little longer to dry than recent OPI collections. It seems like they've been tweaking the formula again!

Overall, I love this. I guess it doesn't take much to make me happy- just throw some glitter at me and I'll love you forever. This collection has lots of glitter! Red glitter, purple with glitter, gold with glitter- and don't forget the FLAKIES! I like the delicious pumpkin shade of Ginger Bells, I like the rich velvety look of Glove You So Much, I like the playful and bright Comet Loves Cupid. The only ones I'm really indifferent about are All A-Bordeaux The Sled and Meet and Jingle because they're not really flashy enough and they don't seem totally unique. They could have used a snowy silver or white or even a rich garland green instead of one of the reds, but I'm still satisfied.

I knew OPI had it in them.... Go OPI! Flakies, woohoo!!!

I believe the release date for this is September 1st, but I'm not 100% sure. Sometime in September.
 

blogger templates | by toblack