Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Nubar Matte Experiment

I mentioned on Twitter a while back that I tried a matte topcoat on top of a duochrome and it actually turned out cool. I didn't get a picture then, but I re-created it, and while I was mattifying things I thought I'd try it on a holo too.

Since I was using Nubar V For Men matte topcoat, I decided to use Nubar polishes (my original matte experiment was Nubar as well).


Nubar V For Men on Nubar Wildlife. As you can see, the duochrome effect remains even when mattified. The matte topcoat gives a very fascinating look to this particular duochrome. It looks like metal or stone with a coating on it... You know how when it rains, sometimes you get a rainbow oil slick in the puddles in parking lots? It's like dropping a rock in one of those puddles. Or maybe it's like fish scales. Either way, I've never seen anything like it and I think it looks pretty awesome. It's something you have to see in person to get the full effect.

Nubar V on Nubar Reclaim. This one didn't turn out as well. While the end result does look cool, like a speckled green matte, it completely destroys the holographic effect of the polish. Ruining a holo is a crime! But I suppose this makes sense- sometimes when applying holos I wonder why they look so matte and don't have a holographic effect, but then they dry and become shiny and the holo shimmer appears.

So far I like matte glitter the best, then matte shimmer and now matte duochrome. I'm going to do some more experiments, as well as doing a side-by-side comparison of all the mattes and matte topcoats once they're all released. There are a few more companies doing matte this fall so I'm going to wait until I think I have all of them to compare so I don't have to re-do it if I miss one.

I'll do a more in-depth post on Nubar V For Men soon, I just wanted to show you guys my experiment!
 

blogger templates | by toblack