Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Drugstore Awesomeness: Wet N Wild Craze

Ever since I saw the first promo pic for this line I've been scouring drugstores high and low searching for it. Steph's swatches put me over the edge- I NEEDED these!

Last week, I finally stumbled across a brand new full display when I least expected it. I think I did a little happy dance in the aisle.

EDIT: Someone just asked me and I realized I forgot to mention this: All swatches are two coats (with the exception of Glitz which is three). No basecoat, no topcoat. Opacity on these is pretty good, two coats leaves the polish with *slight* visible nail line, but not so much that it bothers me enough to do a third coat.

Look at the bottles, they're so cute:

New Wet n Wild Craze


Rustic, Goldmine, Inferno, Lust, Glitz

Nocturnal, Shield, Morbid, Jade


They're short and cute. 0.34 fl. oz, which is not quite mini but not full size either. They don't look skimpy, they're a decent size.

Glitz. Purple, blue, pink and silver glitter. I made a mess with this one. My fault, not the polish. Anyway, this is a fairly dense glitter but it still needed three coats for total opacity. It could use four but three was good enough for me. It's different from Sally Hansen Rockstar Pink and LA Girl Rock Star Overdose- the overall color of the polish is different even though they're basically the same concept- pink and purple glitter in a clear base.

Goldmine. Yellowy metallic gold. Really nice formula on this one. Smooth with no brushstrokes. Very shimmery, looks gorgeous outside in full sunlight.

Inferno. Fiery red-orange-gold shimmer. Beautiful yet dangerous... Thermogenic, luminous... Er... It's an inferno all right. This is a really cool looking polish. It's almost duochrome, it flits between gold and orange, almost like it's flickering. Awesome.



Jade. Shimmery light golden green. I know, I'm always saying how much I hate seeing a million golden greens when I'm really looking for dark green... Well, this one is different. I love it. It's grassy and green and has lots of gold shimmer.

Lust. Bright, rich pink with purple flash. In the bottle the flash looked more blue to me, but it looks really purple on the nail. I love colors with flash. Makes it more interesting.

Morbid. Black with teal pearl shimmer. Ooh. Oooooooh. Speechless. *drool*


Nocturnal. Blackened blue creme. These dark cremes never want to photograph well. Ugh. Well, even though it looks like a plain black creme, it's not! It's blue. Very, very dark blue. The first coat looks noticeably blue, so if you can do a nice even first coat, you'll get a more blue color. The second coat darkens it significantly. It does look black, but you can also tell that it's blue, if that makes sense.


Rustic. Rusty brown shimmer. Man, this is so pretty. I can't even stand it. It's so rich and autumn-like. It looks dark around the edges and light in the middle, which I LOVE. I love everything about this polish.



Shield. Light gold, brown, tan, silvery shimmer. Hard to describe. It's a mixture of different colored shimmer particles that combine to create an overall neutral tan/gold metallic look. It's so pretty, it's almost painful to look at. What I like the best about this are the little copper particles in the polish. They make it so interesting to look at.



The formula on these is great. Smooth, even, great texture. No application problems at all. The bottles and brushes are great. The brush stems are short- very short, and this can lead to some problems if you're not prepared. So, be aware of the short stems and you'll be fine. All the polishes apply really evenly, no streaks, no globs of polish. They also dry really fast. Wear is excellent- I wore Morbid for four days and didn't have any tipwear or chipping. I'm super pleased with these polishes. And you know what? Under $2. Yep. Does that blow your mind?

Overall, I'm crazy excited about these polishes. Everything about them is good. The bottles, the shades, the formula, the drying time, the price. You wouldn't think these are $2 polishes. Which brings me to another point...

I have some friends who won't touch drugstore polish. It isn't good enough for them. The need Chanel, they need Dior, they need a big price tag and a giant logo on a bottle to make them think a polish is good quality. You don't need that stuff! You can't look at the outside of the bottle and make a decision about the quality of the polish (well, most of the time)- you have to experience what's inside the bottle. Now I sound like some sort of after school special. It's what's on the inside that counts! Hahahaha! But, seriously, you need to experiment with all kinds of polish... You will discover that a great majority of brands are so similar in quality that you probably won't go back to spending $20++ for one bottle. There's nothing wrong with a little luxury once in a while, hell, I have almost all of Rescue Beauty Lounge's polish line! But when a polish has a high price tag, I think the polish should be worth it. And, from polish junkie to polish junkie, these $1.89 Wet n Wild polishes from the grocery store are much higher quality than some of the $20+ 'luxury' brands I own.


Okay, that was a bit of a rant. What I'm trying to say is this: Embrace the inexpensive polish. You will be pleasantly surprised.




 

blogger templates | by toblack